Friday, March 21, 2014

March 21, 2014 - World Poetry day

Today is World Poetry Day. Like I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I hadn't really explored the genre, but I'm a convert now. I love poetry and will continue to read it at every opportunity I have. Today is world poetry day and I couldn't have found a better day to dedicate this post to my father.

On this day, I fondly recall those days of my childhood when I used to come home after enrolling in a poetry or essay or oratory competition at school and didn't have to worry a zilch of how I would prepare for the contest and all I had do was tell my father! I used to constantly nag him until he sat down and wrote it down for me. He pulls my leg even today recalling those incidents after so many years about how I won't let him sleep until my task was done. His passion for poetry is really contagious that in the process of memorizing his poems/words for my contests, I have many a times felt inspired and re-energized by them. Poems are a great source of energy for me during tough times and nothing else gives me peace of mind. Here's two of my father's favorite English and Tamizh poems:

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
By Robert Frost


Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound’s the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
 
_______________________________________________________________________________

மனதி லுறுதி வேண்டும்.
வாக்கினி லேயினிமை வேண்டும்;
நினைவு நல்லது வேண்டும்,
நெருங்கின பொருள் கைப்பட வேண்டும்;
கனவு மெய்ப்பட வேண்டும்,
கைவசமாவது விரைவில் வேண்டும்;
தனமும் இன்பமும் வேண்டும்,
தரணியிலே பெருமை வேண்டும்
கண் திறந்திட வேண்டும்,
காரியத்தி லுறுதி வேண்டும்.
பெண் விடுதலை வேண்டும்.
பெரிய கடவுள் காக்க வேண்டும்;
மண்பயனுற வேண்டும்,
வாகனமிங்கு தென்பட வேண்டும்.
உண்மை நின்றிட வேண்டும்.
ஓம் ஓம் ஓம் ஓம்.
   
    - Mahakavi Subrahmanya Bharathiyar

No comments:

Post a Comment